Federal Skilled Trade Program Eligibility Requirements

The Federal Skilled Trades (FST) program is intended towards individuals who want to apply for a permanent residency based on their qualifications in skilled trade. The minimum requirements to qualify under this program are as follows:

Work Experience

You must have at least two years of *full-time or equal amount of **part-time work experience in a skilled trade within the five years.   

*Full time: 30 hours per week for 1 year / 1560 hours.

**Part-time work: 15 hours per week for 2 years / 1560 hours OR 30 hours per week for 1 year at more than one job (total one year full time) / 1560 hours.

Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Trades Program are organized under these major and minor groups of the NOC. These major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations which fall under NOC B.You must carry out the duties listed in the NOC category under which you are applying except for needing a certification of qualification:

  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades,
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades,
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production,
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators,
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.

You must have an offer of full-time employment or a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) for at least one year or a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority. Provinces and territories in Canada  issue certificates of qualification in the skilled trades. To get a certificate, the provincial or territorial trades authority must assess your training, trade experience and skills to decide if you are eligible to write an exam to be certified.

Find out the NOC code, title and skill type or level for your job.


There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. But, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you either need a Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree OR a completed foreign credential with an educational credential assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC. This report should show that the foreign credential is equal to a Canadian diploma or greater.


You must show that they meet the minimum requirements in English or French by taking the respective test approved by IRCC which shows that they meet the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of at least five in speaking and listening and four for reading and writing.The test results must not be more than two years old.

Married or Common-Law

If you are married or live with a common-law partner who meets the above criteria, either of you (whoever can potentially score better points) can be the principal applicant. According to IRCC, a common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. Common-law partner includes both same-sex and opposite-sex couples.

Additional Requirements

Federal Skilled Trade workers might have to go to the province or territory to be assessed and an employer might be needed who can give you experience and training.

Under all circumstances, in order to qualify, you must not be inadmissible to Canada by law. The above eligibility criteria is applicable for all provinces in Canada except Quebec.

Eligibility Requirements

Learn more about eligibility requirements for Federal Skilled Worker, Skilled Trade & Canadian Experience Class

Calculate Express Entry Points

Use our Express Entry Points Calculator to evaluate points for express entry candidacy.

Get Started

Talk with our global immigration experts on how your can quality for Express Entry

We are here to help

From assisting you choose the right pathway to immigrate or helping you file your applications, we want to make sure you have a great experience immigrating to Canada. As a multi lingual organization, our service is available in English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Gujarati, Spanish, Tagalog, Chinese

[elementor-template id="995"]