Federal Skilled Worker Program Eligibilty Requirements

To be eligible to apply for a Canadian permanent residency under Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program, you must meet the following minimum requirements.

Work Experience

  • You must have at least one year of continuous, *full-time or equal amount of **part-time work experience within the last 10 years.
  • It must be paid work. Volunteer work or unpaid internships are invalid.
  • It must be under skill type 0, A or B in National Occupational Classification (NOC) 2011 list, Canada.
  • You must carry and show the duties listed in the NOC category under which you are applying for and must meet the qualifying criteria for that particular NOC group.


*Full time: 30 hours per week for 1 year / 1560 hours.

**Part-time work: 15 hours per week for 2 years / 1560 hours or

30 hours per week for 1 year at more than one job (total one year full time) / 1560 hours.


To be eligible for FSW program,you must have completed a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree.


A completed foreign credential with an educational credential assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC. This report should show that the foreign credential is equal to a Canadian credential.


You must show that they meet the minimum requirements in English or French by taking the respective test approved by IRCC which shows that they meet the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of at least seven in speaking, listening, reading and writing.The test results must not be more than two years old.

Selection Criteria

Once the minimum requirements are met, you are then awarded points based on the six selection criteria:

  • Work experience,
  • Education,
  • Language (English and/or French),
  • Age
  • Job offer in Canada
  • Adaptability

Points are earned based on the above six selection factors out of a total of 100 points. The current cut-off is 67.That means if you are able to score 67 points out of 100, you are eligible to apply for a Canadian Permanent Residency under the FSW program.

Calculate your points using CWC’s FSW points calculator now.

Proof of Funds

Unless the candidate is able to show that they have a valid job offer in Canada or is currently able to work in Canada on a work permit, they must show that they have enough money to support them and their family after their arrival in Canada.

Find out how much funds you need according to your family size using this chart.

Married or Common-Law

If you are married or live with a common-law partner who meets the above criteria, either of you (whoever can potentially score better points) can be the principal applicant. According to IRCC, a common-law partner is a person who has lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. Common-law partner includes both same-sex and opposite-sex couples.

Additional Requirements

Under all circumstances, in order to qualify, you must not be inadmissible to Canada by law. The above eligibility criteria is applicable for all provinces in Canada except Quebec.

Eligibility Requirements

Learn more about eligibility requirements for Federal Skilled Worker, Skilled Trade & Canadian Experience Class

Calculate Express Entry Points

Use our Express Entry Points Calculator to evaluate points for express entry candidacy.

Get Started

Talk with our global immigration experts on how your can quality for Express Entry

We are here to help

From assisting you choose the right pathway to immigrate or helping you file your applications, we want to make sure you have a great experience immigrating to Canada. As a multi lingual organization, our service is available in English, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Gujarati, Spanish, Tagalog, Chinese

[elementor-template id="995"]