Special measures to support Hong Kong residents to come to Canada

At CWC, we have been dealing with clients from Hong Kong for over a decade with incredible results. Are you a Hong Kong resident who is planning to come to Canada? We are sure we will be able to help you.

Eligibility requirements for the new Program by IRCC

  • Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act, Canadian permanent residents or protected persons in Hong Kong, and their immediate and extended family members living in Hong Kong regardless of nationality
  • immediate family members of Hong Kong residents who will be working or studying in Canada
  • residents of Hong Kong, who may be living in Canada, the United States, or abroad, and who hold a passport issued by either of the following:
    • the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People’s Republic of China Regulations (IRPR)
    • the United Kingdom to a British National Overseas (BNO), as a person born, naturalized 

Fee waiver

HKSAR and BNO (Hong Kong) passport holders who are temporary residents in Canada may have their fees waived under these special measures if they are applying for an extension of authorization to remain in Canada as a

  • temporary resident ($100)
  • worker ($155)
  • student ($150)

Temporary residence

  • Family reunification
  • Students
  • Workers
  • International Experience Canada (IEC)

Family reunification

IRCC will give priority processing to temporary residence applications from immediate and extended family members (as defined in the Orders in Council) of Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act, Canadian permanent residents and protected persons in Canada who have applied for permanent residence, if their family members abroad hold a valid passport and have remained in, or have departed, Hong Kong. These measures apply to new and existing applications.


Priority processing should be given to all study permit applications received from HKSAR and BNO passport holders. Until further notice, applicants will not be refused for non-compliance.


As of February 8, 2021, foreign nationals who hold either a HKSAR or BNO passport are eligible to apply for an open work permit under a 2-year temporary resident.

Eligible spouses or common-law partners, as well as dependent children, can also apply for a study or work permit, as appropriate.

Eligibility requirements:


The applicant must hold either a:

  • degree (for example, bachelor, master, doctorate) from a DLI in Canada or an equivalent educational credential earned abroad, or
  • diploma from a post-secondary DLI in Canada or the equivalent credential from an overseas institution along with an educational credential assessment report from an agency approved by IRCC to confirm Canadian equivalency. The program of study must be at least 2 years in duration.

The educational credential must have been obtained in the 5 years immediately preceding application submission. For degrees issued overseas, officers may request an ECA report.


Mandatory documents

  • Copy of educational credential, transcripts or proof of enrolment at a post-secondary educational institution
  • Copy of HKSAR or BNO passport
  • Family Information form [IMM 5707]
  • CV or resume
  • Digital photo

“Not applicable” documents

  • Employment reference letter
  • Letter from current employer
  • Employment records
  • Employment contract

Police certificates

As with any case, the officer reviewing the file may require a police certificate in order to be fully satisfied that the applicant is not criminally inadmissible.



International Experience Canada (IEC)

Prior to closing the program’s 2020 season on November 12, 2020, International Experience Canada (IEC) invited a number of Hong Kong youth in the IEC pool to submit an application. Hong Kong youth will not be able to enter Canada unless they have

  • a valid port of entry letter of introduction (LOI)
  • a valid job offer, which includes a written note from an employer in Canada that says
    • their business is continuing to operate (whether essential or not)
    • they will start work after the 14-day mandatory quarantine
  • proof of adequate healthcare coverage

Applications in progress will not be closed or refused for lack of documentation or inability to complete the application process in time, such as giving biometrics or completing a medical exam.

Permanent residence

Permanent residence applications from family members of Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents or protected persons residing in Hong Kong that are in processing should be prioritized where feasible.


Family class applications

Priority processing should be given to family class applications received from legal residents of Hong Kong (whether they are currently in Canada or outside of Canada or in the U.S.).

Want to come to Canada, Call us  today. We also provide services in Cantonese and Mandarin. Please ask or reception desk for more information.


CWC Immigration Solutions Inc brings over 15 years of experience serving prospective Canadian immigrants with ethical, timely and competent  representation for immigration and resettlement. With branches in Canada, UAE & India, our global immigration experts have helped over 1000’s of families, professionals and students successfully immigrate to Canada. 

Call Us
Brampton/Toronto: (905) 670-4444
Surrey/Vancouver: (604) 598-5555
Abbotsford: (604) 852-4444
United Arab Emirates (UAE)
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter