Because of Covid-19 pandemic restrictions many people cannot travel to Canada. And the good news is some Designated Learning institutes are reopening for international students. Designated Learning institutes who have corona readiness plan approved by their province or territory are able to reopen for international students who are currently outside Canada. Now, International students travel to Canada on study permit.
International students who have plan to come to Canada after October 20, 2020
- Candidate’s educational institute should be on the list of Designated Learning institute with approved COVID-19 readiness plans before he/ she travel to Canada.
- Candidate should have a valid study permit, or has been approved for a study permit.
Whether you are travelling from the United States or from any other foreign country this applies to all international students,.
Those who have already study permit in Canada this change doesn’t affect them.
If the candidate is already pursuing education in Canada, he/ she can continue studying at any DLI. If the candidate leaves Canada, he/ she may not be able to return if his/ her Designated Learning institute doesn’t have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by the province or territory in which he/ she is residing.
Candidate must meet 2 requirements, to be able to enter Canada as a student:
- Candidate should have a valid study permit or a letter of approval that shows you were approved for a study permit.
- Candidate should be attending a designated learning institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory.
Candidate travel to Canada will be considered mandatory (non-discretionary) if their DLI is on the approved list and you have all of the required documents.
Applicant travel to Canada as a student won’t be considered essential (non-discretionary) if
- Candidate study program has been suspended or cancelled.
- Candidate is entering to Canada for any reason other than study
When the international students travel to Canada?
Candidate should make sure that his/ her educational institute is on the list of designated learning institutes with COVID-19 readiness plans approved by their province or territory. When the border services officer invites them, they look at various factors, including
- Candidate reason for travelling to Canada
- Candidate ability to complete a 14-day quarantine period as soon as he/ she arrive at their final destination.
- if he/ she either
- Have time to complete his/ her quarantine period before they physically attend classes, or can study online during quarantine period.
Candidate must bring
- a valid study permit or a port of entry letter of introduction that shows he/ she were approved for a study permit
- a valid letter of acceptance from a Designated learning institute with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory
- Candidate must have proof that he/ she have enough money to support financially him/ her and any family members who come with them to Canada during the stay.
Before you travel to Canada, you can contact the Border Information Service for detailed information. A border services officer will make the final decision on whether you are eligible to enter Canada when you arrive.
if you can’t provide required documents?
Some students may not be able to get the documents because offices are closed. Upload a letter of explanation explaining why you can’t submit the required documents such as your biometrics, proof of enrolment, final transcripts and others.
Candidate must provide a letter of acceptance from a designated letter institute when you apply. Applications are not submitted without this document.
Applications are not rejected if the candidates cannot submit the required documents, other than the letter of acceptance, due to corona pandemic.
When processing the application, embassy will ask for the missing documents and give an extension to provide them, if needed.
Educational institutes whose covid-19 readiness plan is approved by the government of the province and territory are now welcoming the students back to their college or universities. International students travel to Canada if their designated learning institute has been approved. The government of province or territorial provides the instructions to DLIs to how to provide information to international students on health and travel requirements before they arrive to Canada which will help them with their quarantine plans and provide guidance in acquiring the necessities of life such as food, medication in their quarantine period. Canadian government works closely with provinces and territories on hosting of international students in Canada and other issues related to international education. Taking the preventive measures and cautions, the federal, provincial and territorial governments have worked together. For the best consultation on applying study permit to Canada, consult CWC. We provide the best immigration consultation in various countries like Canada, India and Dubai.