Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program
With a population of around one hundred forty thousand, Prince Edward Island (PEI) is the smallest province of Canada both in terms of land and population. PEI is one of the three maritime provinces of Canada being surrounded by water on all sides with 231 small islands within the province. PEI gives out a pristine small town like feeling with its beautiful coastline, friendly people, stress-free and laid back environment. It is a great place for adventure seekers, farmers, ecologists, and tourists. Charlottetown in the largest and the capital city of PEI.
The PEI Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP) is administered by the Office of Immigration with conjunction to an agreement with the federal government of Canada. PEI PNP nominates individuals to the federal government for permanent residency if they qualify based on their ability to economically establish and their intent to live and work in PEI. Through this program PEI aims to fill the labour market shortage; attract entrepreneurs and businessmen who can help in creating jobs and contributing towards PEI’s economy.
There are two major streams under which PEI PNP operates; Immigration to PEI as a Worker and Immigration to PEI as an Entrepreneur.
PEI Immigration as a Worker: This stream is for individuals who plan to live and work in PEI supported by their employment/work in the province. The worker class of people are subcategorized further in order to have an easier application process.
- Critical Workers: If you are currently employed in PEI on a low skilled work (NOC C or D) on a permanent basis or if you have a job offer for a minimum of two years, you may be eligible to apply under Critical Workers category of PEI PNP. Employers fill out the low-skilled positions through this program when they are not able to hire from the local labour force available. Currently customer service representatives, labourers, food and beverage servers, housekeeping attendants and truck drivers five occupations included in the program.
- International Graduates: This subcategory is for students who have graduated for a recognized PEI post-secondary institution and have secured a job offer from a PEI employer. Usually this is applicable for skilled work within their field of study. A minimum of 50 points is needed on the Labour Impact Self Assessment in order to qualify among other factors. Contact CWC for evaluation.
- PEI Express Entry: If you qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trade or Canadian Experience Class of Express Entry with a valid profile number and job seeker validation code you may apply for PEI PNP under this category. In order to have a stronger change to get a nomination form PEI PNP you need to be living and working in PEI, have educational background in PEI or have strong family tie-up to the province among other factors.
- Skilled Workers in PEI: Skilled foreign workers currently working for an eligible PEI employer may be eligible to apply for a PEI PNP. Under this program island employers fill out the skilled work shortage in the province by appointing skilled foreign workers who are interested in living and working in PEI and subsequently apply for their permanent residency.
- Skilled Workers Outside Canada: Individuals living outside Canada who have managed to secure a job offer in Canada may apply for a PEI PNP under this category A minimum of 50 points is needed on the Labour Impact Self Assessment in order to qualify among other factors.
PEI Immigration as an Entrepreneur: This stream is for individuals who wish to invest in and actively manage a PEI business. Eligible candidates can apply for a PEI PNP through this stream who is then nominated by the province for a permanent Residency. This stream is divided into three categories. All three categories require the applicant to score a minimum of 50 points on the Business Impact Self Assessment. Contact CWC for evaluation.
- 100% Ownership: This category is for individuals who will be claiming full ownership of a business in PEI. This can be done by starting an entirely new business in the province or buying an existing business. This stream is for foreign nationals with extensive management or business-ownership experience who would like to own and operate their own business in PEI.
- Partial Ownership: Individuals who are interested in immigrating to Prince Edward Island and would like to own or invest a part of business in PEI, may be eligible for a nomination for permanent residency under PEI PNP. To be eligible for nomination they must have a verifiable personal net worth of $600,000; meet the minimum language (4.0 IELTS) and age (21-59) requirements and submit a $200,000 deposit as per the Escrow Agreement.
- Work Permit: Individuals who wish to invest in a PEI business in order to get a work permit prior to receiving provincial nomination may apply. During their time on a work permit applicants are expected to begin working in Canada and to learn about the business which they will be investing in. To be eligible for nomination under the work permit stream the candidate must show a verifiable net worth of $600,000; be within 21-59 years of age; minimum language score equivalent to 4.0 in IELTS; and must have transferable management skills and past employment or business ownership experience.