A general visitor visa or an eTA allows an individual to stay in Canada for up to six months from the time they first enter the country. If they need to extend their stay, they need to apply for an extension and pay the fee again.
However, a super visa allows a parent or grandparent to visit their family in Canada and stay for up to two years without having to renew their status every six months. It is valid for 10 years or until the passport expires (if less than 10 years) and allows for multiple entries. The super visa is applicable for eligible parents and grandparents of the person living in Canada. Dependants of parents and grandparents are not eligible for the super visa.
The eligibility for a super visa depends on various factors. You need to fulfill the following condition in order to apply for a super visa:
- You must be able to prove that you are the parent or grandparent of the Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- You must have gone through a complete medical examination and passed.
- You should be able to prove that you have a private medical insurance from an Canadian insurance company valid for at least one year from when you enter Canada. The medical insurance must cover at least $100,000 towards your health care, hospitalization, and repatriation.
- You should have a financial support in a form of a letter of invitation from the child or grandchild for the entire duration of your stay in Canada. The letter must be included with a bank letter with availability of funds according to the size of the family.
- You must be able to prove that you will be a genuine visitor to Canada who will leave the country at the end of the visit.
- You should not engage in and work or study in Canada without authorization.
The application for a super visa also depends on your ties to your home country, genuine purpose of visit, financial situation, political or economic stability, and invitation from your child or grandchild in Canada.
CWC Immigration Solutions Inc brings over 15 years of experience serving prospective Canadian immigrants with ethical, timely and competent representation for immigration and resettlement. With branches in Canada, UAE & India, our global immigration experts have helped over 1000’s of families, professionals and students successfully immigrate to Canada.